The city one of the cities of old Russia is believed to date back to its founding in 968. The archaeological excavations currently underway in the historic city center to determine the true age of the city. The city was mentioned for the first time in historical records in 1146 as a fortified town to protect the borders of the Emirate of Ryazan from attacks by nomadic tribes and shepherds. This is now history is the history of the city's founding
In 1395 Tamerlane's forces attacked the city and destroyed and looted and robbed of its people. In 1483 became a subsidiary of the emirate of Moscow. In 1592 Castle was re-building the city with a group other fortresses to protect the southern border - East of the Russian state, and the castle became the nucleus of the current City of Willits
. In 1770 granted by the Empress status of the city and approved the plan of building the city later, and in 1793 started paved city streets and alleys Balzlt, sheets of limestone, as developed oil lamps in the streets lighted at night, and dug wells for water supply, the first Russian city has set up the teams to extinguish the fire . Spread in this period are widely craft sewing, punching (Aldntella), which is famous for the city to this day.
The most important of the city is famous for its architecture used in the construction of churches and cathedrals that have reached 14 at the time the Church and the Cathedral of one and a monastery for monks and another for the nuns.
During the period from 1871 - 1874 opened in the city schools - Men's (still working so far, the first school) and Women (now first educational building of the university). The city has grown and flourished and the number of Nfosha up in 1897 reached more than 47 thousand people.
In 1888 established the first store of grain (silos) in Russia can accommodate more than 650 tons of grain, which still operates to this day, have contributed to this warehouse in the booming trade in grain and flour, which was produced in the mills of water several established in the city and its suburbs
In 1928 opened the first institution in the city where the health of various medical specialties as established in the same year the local radio. In 1933 completed construction of the bridge on the river in 1934, announced the start of the literacy campaign in the city and accessories. In 1936 the new factory began producing bars of coal and carbon electrodes used in various electrical industries. In 1937 started building a battery factory which started production in 1940. This year I got knitting products and punching in the Paris International Exhibition gold medal and a diploma of the exhibition
After a period from the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, German troops occupied the city during the period from 3 to December 9, 1941, but was under constant shelling of German aircraft until the end of 1943
. The city of Willits important base for the forces of the Red Army and factions of al-Ansar, which was active in the area of Auriol and the arc of the Kursk - Auriol, as well as to groups of supporters in Belarus, where he served as the axis of the railway as well as the airports were being used not only for launching aircraft to military targets of the enemy, and even support groups Ansar in Belarus. The city was like any other Soviet cities to severe damage because of the occupation and military operations.
In the fifties of the last century began the city's industrial development where concrete has set upa large industrial enterprises such as sugar factory and factory production equipment andhydraulic equipment for Tractors and another factory to produce Owainat medical and otherfactories. This has led to the expansion of the city and its population increased significantly.
Working in the city, a group of educational institutions such as University of Willits government named after the Russian writer Ivan Bunin is known which includes 17 colleges and boards of various scientific. Also works in the city, branches of public universities and civil as well as professional institutes and high schools of different medium. In the city, a large number of high schools and institutes of Fine Arts opened on the name, one of the great Russian composer Tikhon Chrinikov addition to religious schools.
Incorporated city in the list of Russian historical heritage of cities (115 cities) is also introduced to the lines of tourism. There in the city's 226 architectural monuments and historical. The historic city center maintains a large number of monuments such as the "Governor's House - Century 18" and the Church of the Virgin, which was built during the reign of Tsar Peter the Great in the style of "Albaroko" which is characterized by motifs beautiful windows and entrances, columns, and church is located under the protection of the state as historical monuments. There is also a chapel built in honor of the victims of battles with Tamerlane. There is the Cathedral of the Ascension (19th century), which took 44 years of construction in 1845 and until 1889
Located near the city area called "Galechea Gora - Mount Galic," a natural reserve for plants and animals and birds of prey, and since 1934, oversees the University of Voronezh on the protected and used in research and scientific studies