Since the castle has been established by Saladin the seat of government in the Ayyubid and Mamluk state, and in the reign of the Ottoman rulers in the era of the family and then the top, and continued well into the age where the Khedive Ismail Amer Abdeen Palace took the seat of the king. Mohammed was taken on the large upper Egyptian head of the family and the founder of modern Egypt, after the reform of the walls of the castle, palaces and the establishment of schools and government offices, and culminated in the establishment of this mosque, its buildings, which oversees the city of Cairo Bakbabh and minarets
And coating the walls of the home and four shoulders, up 11.30 meters covering of marble topped with colorful patterns, and sweetened with domes and half-dome is a prominent decoration carved and gilded. On the western side of the mosque is a converted amount of bench on decades of columns and marble, and took Drabzenha corridors and domes of the railings Bronzing busy. In the western corner of it is tribal tomb of Mohammed on the great combination topped with crushed marble decorations and writings by the beautiful, surrounded by a zone of bronze beautifully wrought, is Abbas Pasha I work
· The establishment of the mosque began in 1830 and continues to work without interruption until the death of Mohamed Ali Pasha in 1845, where he was buried in the cemetery which he had prepared for himself.
• In the reign of Khedive Abbas Pasha I was to complete the work pattern of the gates and marble, as is the appointment of readers and monitoring of goods to the mosque.
• In the reign of Said Pasha was the work of official ceremonies for five nights each year, namely:
• In the reign of Khedive Ismail, was the work of a new bronze doors of the mosque and surrounded by walls and created a cycle of water.
• In the era of King Fouad the Commission for the Conservation of Egyptian Antiquities Arab remove the dome and around the large domes of small to be rebuilt again, taking into account the dimensions of the original architectural design and decoration
The mosque's walls are covered inside and out with marble imported from quarries Alabestr Beni Suef and shoulder as well as four internal-bearing dome. The walls of the mosque are covered with all the clothing, the marble top of the home whites ornaments decorated with gold color. The large dome and half domes were decorated with Halit prominent color gold
The original pulpit of the mosque is a large platform made of local wood decorated with gold, while the small marble platform to the left of the mihrab, it is his work in King Farouk in 1358 AH = 1939. And crystal chandeliers lit the mosque is surrounded by beautiful glass niches coordinated exquisite forms. The two parties on the western side of the mosque Mnartan Ostoanita slender shape Benita also Turkish-style minarets, rising each 82 m from the ground